Friday, 5 October 2012

evaluation

evaluation 

I began this assignment by looking at photographers such as Vivian Maier and Christina Nunez, I liked both styles of work as they both worked in self portraiture. I preferred Vivian Maiers work as she used much more interesting camera angles and set up here shots a lot different than other photographers. I wanted to create an image in black and white using a large format camera this is because I wanted to print my image large when I came to finish as most of Vivian Maiers photos were fairly large to. 

when it came to taking my photo I set-up my lighting and backdrop so I could use the lighting more effectively so I went with a black back drop to show off the lighting better. as I wanted to take a self portrait and use the large format camera I needed someone to literally take the photo as I could not take it myself as the large format camera shoots film and doesn't have a self timer. I got around this problem by asking one of my friends (Will) to take the photo but I set-up the camera and lighting so it was still technically my self portrait I just had a bit of assistance.

after I took the photo Tim got the negatives ready to be developed. As I was shooting large format I needed to use much more chemicals than a standard 35mm photo. I used 2 litres of each chemical (developer, stop and fix) then left it under running cold water to rinse them chemicals off. once I removed the negatives I found that there was nothing on them which resulted in my large format photos being un successful I have learnt from this that next time I will take more care when adding chemicals and using the correct amount.

my next option was to take a photo with the medium format camera and developing the negatives  this made a really interesting photo as the image came out ghostly and strange looking. these images were much easier to develop as I was only developing the negatives and it was a lot less time consuming. I also created some photo-grams as these were very straight forward to make because all you had to do was put objects on top of photographic paper and expose it to light for a short while.

in conclusion I believe my project could have been more successful if i had taken more care with the chemicals but I still managed to produce some interesting work influenced by my research

No comments:

Post a Comment